Sunday, February 4, 2018

First Days

 Ahoj McDonough, today is my fifth day in Prague. They say that the first stage of living abroad is the honeymoon phase, and I definitely feel like that. In just the first few days that I've been in Prague, I've already had an unbelievable time. I researched the country before I came over, but it's nothing compared to actually living in one of the most unbelievable cities in the world. I still can't believe I get to live here for 4 months, and I can't wait to get to know it more.


So far, I've done a good bit of sightseeing and touristy things. Yesterday, I went downtown with my roommates to explore the Old Town a bit. First we headed over to the Charles Bridge, which over looks the Vlatava River. These aren't very good pictures of the bridge because they only show a small portion of it. The bridge is actually 2,037 feet long and it's breathtaking from farther away.

The start of the Charles Bridge
Vlatava River from the Charles Bridge
Next we headed over to the Lennon Wall, which has a really interesting history behind it. Although Lennon never actually visited Prague, he was idolized by Czech youth under the communist regime. So when Lennon was assasinated in 1980, they took to the wall to mourn him by spraypainting graffiti of his portrait and Beatles lyrics on the wall. People continued to write their grievances with the comunist regime on the wall throughout the 1980s despite the fact that it was illegal and the government would paint over all the graffiti. Today, it is legal to spray graffiti on the wall and continues to have layer after layer added to it. 



Then we went to the Prague Castle, which has been my favorite place to see so far. The Prague Castle is absolutely massive and covers over 750,000 square feet, making it the largest ancient castle in the world. On the grounds there are multiple churches, halls, palaces, gardens, and towers with a wide variety of architechtural styles.

This was taken just inside Castle Grounds

St. Vitus Castle on castle grounds from the front
St. Vitus Castle from behind
More buildingd on castle grounds.
My favorite part of the castle. I could have stayed and stared at this for hours.

One of my favorite things about Prague so far is the amazing public transportation system. Throughout the whole city they have the metro, tram, and buses running. Obviously, after spending my entire life in small towns this blew my mind and its so much better than any public transportation system I've seen in any American city. One of the reasons they developed the system so well is because the city is so old that the roads are too small for a lot of traffic. Another reason the public transportation system is so important is because they are a lot more environmentally conscious than Americans and don't drive much. The city is divided up into 22 districts and its really easy to get everywhere on public transportation.You can hop on and off between the metro, tram, and buses with only one pass, so you can really get dropped off almost anywhere.


Another difference between the United States and the Czech Republic is that the Czech people are a lot more reserved. For example, they don't really talk on public transportation, so if you hear someone talking too loudly they're probably American. They also don't smile while walking down the street much. Czechs may seem a little cold because of these differences, but they're nice when you get to know them more. The other day, I got turned around a bit coming home from the grocery story, so I asked a lady working at a fruit stand for directions. Although she didn't speak English, she was really nice and helpful pointing me in the right direction.

I've been to a couple of Czech grocery stores so far, and while they were similar to American stores, it was a bit of a culture shock. It was pretty intimidating walking in and not being able to read anything, but I figured out most of it by looking at how everything was shaped and what it was near. I did find myself picking up things to look at the ingredients a lot, but then I would realize that I couldn't read anything and that it wouldn't help. I did accidentally buy tartar sauce and garlic sauce while looking for salad dressing, but that's not too bad for not knowing anything.


The Czech Republic is also the beer capital of the world so its a big part of their culture. Czechs drink and average of 37 gallons of beer per person which is more than twice as much as Americans drink and the most in the world. In some restaurants, a pint of beer is even cheaper than a glass of water. So, when I went out to dinner I obviously had to try a beer. It was pretty good and only cost 30Kč, or $1.50. I'm looking forward to learning more about this part of Czech culture and trying more Czech beer.


So far, I've had an amazing time in Prague. It's still sinking in that I get to live here for 4 months, and I can't wait to get to know this city better. I'm looking forward to learning some Czech and some more about the culture so I can really appreciate everything more. I'm also planning some trips to other countries in Europe, so I'm excited to see even more places. Overall, I'm super glad that I chose to study abroad and even happier that I picked Prague.

Na shledanou!



14 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley!
    I hope you are doing well, Prague looks beautiful. I wanted to ask you a question in reference to your experience using public transportation. In leadership we recently examined African Leadership and culture, in their culture they value harmony and keep strict traditions. You said that natives do not talk on public transportation, and if they do they are usually American. So do you see this same value on harmony in Prague as is prominent in African culture and do you believe that they value harmony because of tradition or cultural norms? It is interesting to draw contrasts between the cold glares of people native to Prague and those of African Leadership. In African Leadership they have seriti, which is the energy from interacting with others. It seems in Prague that there isn't a lot of seriti based off what you said about the cold faces and silence.
    Thanks,
    Ashley Olszewski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, that's an interesting interpretation on the source of differences on public transportation is, but I don't think it's really because a cultural value of harmony or tradition. From what I've seen, Czech people aren't afraid to stand out so I don't see a large cultural emphasis on harmony. I think its probably more of a difference in cultural norms, because they just have a more reserved nature even outside of public transportation. Another example of this is how Czech people all stand on the right side of the escalator so people can walk on the left side. People aren't afraid to step out of the line and walk on the left side, so I don't see them as afraid to stand out. Instead, I think this just stems from more emphasis on efficiency and respect in their culture than in the United States.

      I'm not familiar with seriti, but I believe Czech people do still have a bit of it despite their more reserved nature. Czech people are really only reserved at first meeting, but once you're able to get to know them more they really warm up. So, while they might seem cold initially, they still develop strong relationships and interact with others normally. So, I do believe that they have a certain level of seriti, but they're not as boisterous about relationships.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley!
    I'm so glad you're enjoying Prague! I visted there once a few years ago, but it was part of a school trip and I didn't get much time to explore, so I'm really looking forward to your posts and pictures.
    You mentioned that Czech people are more reserved and don't talk as much. We've been going over a lot of different cultures and the way they differentiate their leadership styles. Ashley already mentioned the African style, but we've also looked at Islam, Western, and Latin America. On first instinct I would group the lack of smiles with Western culture because we are always so busy and moving fast, like in NYC. However, the silence on the public transportation negates that. Do you have any thoughts on the cultural reason they are expressionless, and silent around others, especially since I get the impression they are not just uncomfortable or non-receptive in the presence of an American student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwyneth, that's awesome you've visited Prague. It's a fantastic city.

      I think the reason they are silent and don't smile on public transportation is just because they are more reserved. In the United States, people often times put on a sort of facade and act super excited to meet new people, but in the Czech Republic they would see this as being fake and would wait to show more emotion until they know someone better. If you actually get to know a Czech person they will really open up to you more, so it's not like they're just emotionless robots. I'm not really sure where this more reserved nature in their culture comes from though. I'm sure a lot of the more difficult events in their history like the occupation by Nazi Germany and the Communist regime takeover have kind of harden the people a bit, especially the older generations, but you can't really pinpoint it.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ashley! I'm happy to hear you are having a good time. I wonder if they have a game show network to watch there? Regardless I was surprised to hear that the people are so cold on transportation, especially if it is used by most of the city. I looked into the cultural comparison available through Hofstede Insights and found that on a 100pt scale Czech Republic scored a 58 while the United States scored a 91. That goes exactly with what you noticed! Do you believe it has to do with the people's ancient history in that area? Or do you believe the Soviet regime influenced the culture that much? Also, do the citizens have the same coldness to them when they drink? And if they don't, does that mean their coldness on the transportation is only in public? I hope you keep having an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brady, sadly they don't have game show network, but I think I'll still give the country a shot.

      I think the reason people are more reserved on public transportation is caused by a variety of different things. Like you mentioned, I definitely think the country's history, particularly with communism, has had a huge impact on the culture. As I've traveled around Europe more, I've seen people on all the public transportation I've ridden be pretty quiet. They all have different tendencies, but you can definitely still pick out the Americans. So, I think it might also be a more Europe-wide cultural norm. When people drink they are louder, and I think that's because they're with people they know not just strangers on public transportation. I think they're still quieter than Americans, but I have seen Czech people singing along to songs in a bar which you'd never see on the metro. I'm sure a bit of this can be attributed to the alcohol of course.

      Delete
  4. Hey Ashley!
    I'm glad you are experiencing a different culture with norms different from that of the U.S. When I traveled to Italy a couple of years ago, I was in the same boat as you when it came to the grocery store. I ended up just using the pictures and guessing that I got the right thing. In your post, you mentioned that no one smiles in public or talks on the subways. Yet they are really nice and helpful. In African Leadership, leadership is an earned relational honor. However, everyone is still a part of a tight knit community that helps everyone else out. Does this apply in the Czech Republic? Is a stranger less likely to be helped when compared to a close friend or family member in need of assistance?

    - Alex Petrovski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'm sure grocery shopping in every country is a totally different experience.

      I'm not really close friends or family with any Czech people, so I can't really speak to those relationships. But, every Czech stranger that I've asked for assistance has been completely helpful. Whenever I've asked for help they've really warmed up, smiled, and been glad to help. I'm sure close Czech relationships and families are different than the relationships between new friends or strangers, but it's the same in the U.S.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ashley!
    I'm glad you are enjoying Europe thus far! My parents are both from Poland and I've been to Poland and all over eastern Europe multiple times. One thing that I noticed with grocery stores which is different from the United States is that items are not so much in bulk. Even from looking at the picture you took of the cereal boxes, they are not nearly as large as you will find in the United States. You mentioned that Czech's are a lot more reserved the American people. Did you see the same level of reservedness on the subway vs at a restaurant or bar? In class we looked at the Lewis Model and the differences between the three points, linear-active, multi-active, and reactive. The United States and the Czech Republic are both right next to each other very close to the linear-active point. One of the characteristics with linear-active countries is that the citizens are often seen as polite but direct, and they partially conceal their feelings and emotions. It was interesting to me that you mentioned that most people on the subways are cold and seem unfriendly. But to contrast that, you were helped by the nice lady at the fruit stand. Do you believe that in a public transportation environment where there are a lot of people that Czech's are more reserved vs in a public setting where you can interact 1 on 1 with someone?
    Děkuji!
    Sebastian Ziaja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sebastian, that's very cool that your parents are from Poland. I am hoping to visit there sometime this semester. Czech grocery stores definitely have smaller quantities too.

      I think what you said about being polite but direct and concealing their feelings and emotions is definitely true about Czech people. I believe that's the reason Czechs can seem cold or unfriendly. Coming from a culture where people are so loud, outgoing, and sociable it can make people that are a little more reserved seem cold. I just think its Americans that are unusually boisterous because the way Czech act seems to be consistent with how I've seen other Europeans act. Like you pointed out, I definitely think that Czechs are more reserved in public versus 1 on 1. I just think this goes back to them trying to be polite, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be more than willing to help you if you need it.

      Delete
  6. Ashley I am glad to see you are having a great time experiencing a new culture. In lecture we have been analyzing many different cultures and their approaches to leadership. I was wondering if you have noticed any particular leadership style that seem dominate, or if there is anything different about the leadership process you immediately picked up on while there.
    -Bryce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryce, I haven't really noticed anything in particular about Czech leadership. It's hard to pinpoint any particular differences in the whole culture when I've only really seen a few Czech in leadership positions. The main Czech leaders I have seen have been my professors and they don't really act any differently than my American professors at AAU.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ashley!
    It looks like you are having an amazing time and I'm so very happy for you. These pictures are so beautiful and I'm sure a lot of them are hard to explain because you feel like we need to see them in person (this is how I always feel when I go somewhere and then try to explain how beautiful things are through pictures). But I'm so glad you are experiencing all of these things!
    In global leadership recently we have been talking about having a global mindset as well as diversity and inclusion. From your experiences, do you believe that people and even high officials of the Czech Republic take into account the world outside of their own personal views? Aka, is global leadership something that you see as an importance to them?
    In addition, I am wondering if there is a lot of diversity there? If so, do you think inclusion is displayed as well? If you could think of any examples that would be great but if not its okay!

    I hope you have a great rest of your trip!
    Safe travels back home:)
    -Syd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syd, great questions. I don't know a ton about Czech politics, so I can't really speak to their leaders much. One thing I have noticed is that people seem a lot more informed about global issues than Americans are including myself, so I guess this might translate to valuing global leadership more. For example, the other day I was out at a bar and talking to some Czech people and when they heard we were Americans they started talking to us about American politics. I was impressed by how much they knew about our political system and current events, and they also knew a lot about how our relations with other countries. On the other hand, I don't really know much about other countries' politics aside from maybe recognizing their leaders.

      As for diversity, there isn't really much. The majority of the population is ethnically Czech and almost everyone is white. The largest non-white ethnic group is Vietnamese, but there are only 60,000-80,000 of them which is less than 1% of the population. I also know quite a few Slovaks and Russians. I haven't seen any issues with racism or anything, but there is a tendency for minority groups to be more isolated. For example, a Slovak can move here and live and work in Slovak without learning any Czech. I know you can do the same in a lot of larger American cities, so I'm not sure if its a real issue. So, I guess I would say there aren't many issue with racism or anything like that, but its also not a real mix of diversity. Hope this makes sense

      Delete

April Update

Ahoj McDonough, I haven't posted in a little over a month and I've been pretty busy since then. It's spring in Prague and the ...