Sunday, April 22, 2018

April Update


Ahoj McDonough, I haven't posted in a little over a month and I've been pretty busy since then. It's spring in Prague and the weather is fantastic. 

March 8th, the day after my last blog post, was inauguration day in the Czech Republic. President Miloš Zeman was re-elected for a second term in January and got inaugurated at the Prague Castle. He's a controversial character here and a lot of people call him the "Czech Donald Trump". He won with a very narrow margin of 51.5% percent of the vote and most people in Prague don't like him. I'm don't know a ton about Czech politics, but I think it's interesting to see the similarities between Czech and American politics.

The inauguration day included a bunch of festivities throughout Prague. My art class actually went to the Prague Castle to see the St. Vitus Cathedral, but we didn't realize it was closed for the inauguration until we got there. We still went to an art exhibit nearby and then walked around the city. While we were walking back they started shooting off cannons at the castle to celebrate. I didn't know that this was going to happen or what was happening, so it was very startling. They fired off 20 cannons and it was super loud even down into the city center where I was. Everybody kind of slowed down and seemed confused, but everyone just kept moving along. I thought it was something violent going on especially with the timing of the inauguration. I know this sounds pretty extra, but I was pretty freaked out by it. I've also heard a couple other American students talk about similar experiences they've had in other countries thinking something violent had gone on while all everyone else didn't seem effected by it. I'm not sure if its because we've had a lot more attacks in the United States or if its just because we're all a little more on edge because we're abroad, but I think its interesting that is something that many of us go through.

The second weekend of March I went on a trip with my study abroad provider to Terezín and Lidice. Terezín was a military fortress constructed by Joseph II of the Habsburg empire during the Austro-Prussian War. During World War I it was a political prison that held thousands, including Gavrilo Princip who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and helped start the war. Then, during World War II it was concentration camp and ghetto. More than 150,000 people were held there, most of which were Czech Jews. Thousands of people died there and even more were shipped off to exterminations camps like Auschwitz.

(I did not take this picture)
(I did not take this picture)
(I did not take this picture)
After touring Terezín we drove about an hour to Lidice. Lidice was a village in present day Czech Republic. In 1942 the high ranking Nazi Reinhard Heydrich was assassinated in Prague. In June of that year Hilter ordered that the village of Lidice be destroyed to make up for the assassination, although there were no ties between Lidice and the assassination. On June 9,1942 the SS arrived at Lidice and leveled the village. All 173 men were immediately rounded up and executed. The women and children were separated and the 203 women were all sent to concentration camps. Of the 105 children, 82 were sent to Chelmno extermination camp and gassed to death. Six of the children who were seen as the most German looking were sent to German Lebensborn orphanages and died there. Only 17 of the children returned home. The village was totally destroyed and today its a memorial.

Lidice memorial today
(I did not take this picture)
Lidice children memorial
(I did not take this picture)
Seeing both Terezín and Lidice was a very sad and eye opening. I studied World War II and the Holocaust a lot in school, but I have never really learned about the Czech role in all of it. 

The next week I went on a tour "Prague through the eyes of the homeless" with my study abroad provider. It was a really interesting tour because it took us to a lot of different parts of Prague that I've never seen before. I also don't really know a lot about homelessness even in the United States, so it was intriguing to hear about it from the perspective of someone homeless. He talked quite a bit about how he had everything in his life together then just had some unlucky events cause him to become homeless. He showed us a few of the different places he has lived, including where he's lived for more than 5 years under a ramp to a bridge. He lived with 6 other people, and they established rules and a sort of community. The tour really opened my eyes to another side of Prague and a new perspective on homelessness I had never heard. 
One of the stops on our "Prague through the eyes of the homeless tour"
This is a place that some charities come to provide food for the homeless.
It's also one of the spaces in Prague where you're free to spray graffiti.

The next weekend I stayed in Prague and the weekend after that I left for spring break! I went with one of my roommates to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. 

I flew out Friday to Oslo, Norway. Oslo was really nice and a lot more modern than I'm used to in Prague. I was surprised by how many people spoke English in Oslo compared to Prague. I don't think I met a single person in Oslo that didn't speak English, but its mainly just younger people in Prague that know English. It's really not an issue in Prague but it was nice not having to worry about any sort of language barrier. I was also shocked by how nice everyone in Norway was. I've mentioned before how Czech people are a bit more reserved but its not like they're mean or rude. When I visited Norway everyone was a lot more outgoing and I loved it.

Frogner Park in Olso
The view from a cafe I went to in Olso after a waiter recommended it. I took the metro
 to the last stop and then it was only a couple minute walk from the line. It was mainly skiers
 because it was at the top of a large hill. We sat right by the window and the view was awesome!
The view from the metro ride down. 
Another view from the metro ride down. This was further down closer to the city. 
View looking out from the Oslo harbour

After leaving Oslo, I flew to Tromsø. Tromsø is the largest city in Northern Norway and the 9th largest city in Norway. We went mainly because it's in the arctic circle.

Map of where Tromsø is in relation to Norway and the arctic circle.

Tromsø was really cold and it was crazy being in the arctic circle. As soon as we got off the airplane, even the airport was covered in snow. As soon as I stepped outside, snow was just falling everywhere and it really sunk in like, shit I'm really in the arctic circle. 

This was the view from the edge of city center to another island
The city of Tromsø  was really cool. I wasn't sure how large any city in the arctic circle would be, but there was quite a bit there. I even noticed a couple offices of Big 4 accounting firms, which I thought was pretty funny. 

After walking around the city center a bit, my roommate and I decided to go looking from reindeer. So, there aren't any wild reindeer in Tromsø, but a waiter in Oslo told my roommate and I that you could see some at the University of Tromsø. We wanted to see reindeer but did not want to pay to go on a tour, so we headed to the university. 


View of  Tromsø  from the bus to the University of Tromsø 
View of Tromsø from the bus to the University of Tromsø 
View from the University of Tromsø
So, we didn't really know where the reindeer were, but our waiter told us they were near the woods so that's where we headed. After looking around for about 2 hours, we finally found the reindeer. We actually had to walk up a trail with a bunch of cross country skiers and then walk through a bunch of snow to get to the fences. 

Reindeer at University of Tromsø
Reindeer at the University of Tromsø
View of the woods from behind the University of Tromsø. This was just behind the reindeer.

Seeing the reindeer was really cool and I was stoked to find them after we had been searching for them for a while. While we were looking at them there were also a bunch of Norwegian skiers around also watching them. 

Tromsø from the bus
Another thing that we really wanted to do was take the Fjellheisen cable car up to the Storsteinen mountain. So, we took the bus to the other island and then rode it up. 

View of the island from just the start of the cable car
Tromsø from atop the Fjellheisen cable car on the Storsteinen mountain

The Tromsø city center from the Storsteinen mountain

You can't really tell from the pictures, but the road from the city center up to the bus stop at the Fjellheisen was steep and covered in snow. It blew my mind that even with the road constantly covered in snow and hilly, but they were still able to have buses running with no issues. It made me realize how much I'm going to miss all the public transportation systems when I get back to America. 



On the last day I was in Tromsø, we decided to head to the Arctic Cathedral before catching our flight out. 
Arctic Cathedral
Tromsø was a ton of fun and it was crazy pretty being in the arctic circle. I think Tromsø is probably my favorite city so far, and I'd love to go back and visit another city in the arctic circle again.  It was snowing off and on almost the entire time I was there and there was about a yard of snow where, but surprisingly not that cold. 

After leaving Tromsø, I flew to Stockholm. 

Gamla Stan from Stockholm City Hall

I went to the Moderna Museet in Stockholm which was cool because they had a couple pieces by Matisse
I only spent two days in Stockholm, but I saw quite a bit. It's a really nice city, but also really expensive like the rest of Scandinavia.

After Stockholm, I flew to Copenhagen. Copenhagen was another beautiful city with a ton of really nice people. It was Easter weekend when I got to Copenhagen, so a lot of places were closed. It was strange because on Friday everything was closed, but opened up again on Saturday then closed on Sunday. I wasn't really bothered by this because I was just sightseeing, but it was strange to see literally almost everything closed.

Amalienborg Palace which is the winter residence of the Royal Family. 
When I was in Copenhagen, the Queen's husband had died about a month before so all the flags were at half staff. My roommate that I traveled with actually had a friend living in from Denmark living in Copenhagen, so we met with her. It was really interesting hearing her explain Danish things.
Nyhavn
One really interesting thing I saw in Copenhagen was Freetown Christiania. Christiania is an self-proclaimed autonomous anarchist community established in 1971 on old military barracks in Copenhagen. It's a super interesting community because they're independent of the Danish government and there is an open marijuana market. Their history is also really fascinating and I had no idea there was anything like it before I visited. 
Christiania
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in Copenhagen
Copenhagen was my last stop on spring break and after a week and a half traveling I headed back to Prague. It was a lot of fun getting to travel around and see Scandinavia. In all three countries I went to everyone was super nice. Everything was also way more expensive there than it is in Prague. After spring break, I was glad to be back in Prague where the cost of living is so cheap.

I spent a week in Prague before heading to Poland for the weekend. I went with my roommate to Warsaw then Kraków.

Warsaw is the capital of Poland and the largest city in the country. During World War II Warsaw was razed to the ground and had to be completely rebuilt. It was strange being in a city that was really pretty but also relatively new.
Warsaw Old Town
Warsaw
After a day in Warsaw, I headed to Kraków. I really enjoyed Kraków and it was super pretty. The combination of the beautiful city and really low costs made Kraków one of my favorite cities that I've visited.
Old Town Kraków 
Kraków  
After a day in Kraków, I went to visit Aushwitz. It was a very somber experience but I'm very glad I went. I have heard people before say everyone should visit Auschwitz at least once in their lifetime, and I understand it now because it was a very moving experience. I went in feeling like I knew a lot about the Holocaust, but it's totally different actually walking through a concentration camp.
Auschwitz I


Auschwitz II-Birkenau
After leaving Auschwitz I went back to Kraków to catch a bus back to Prague,

While I have been traveling around a lot, I have also been enjoying living in Prague. Like I mentioned earlier, its spring and feels great here. It's been in the 70's or 80's the last couple weeks and it's fantastic. I've been able to go on a ton of really cool field trips with my classes lately,

Last week I went with my art history class to take a tour of the National Theatre. It is a source of national pride because it was built with the funds from a nationwide collection drive. In 1881, the theater burnt down just days before it was supposed to be opened. Then, all the funds were raised again by the Czech people to rebuild it and it was opened 1883. It was built during the Czech National Revival when an emphasis was placed on reviving the Czech language and national identity. So, I was really excited to visit a place that was not only beautiful but also so important to the Czech Republic. 

The stage of the theater. You can't see it well in this picture but the top says "Národ Sobě" which
translates to "the nation for itself" and is in reference to how it was funded by the Czech people.
The inside of the theater
The view of Prague from the top of the National Theatre. That's the Prague Castle in the background.
The top of the National Theatre
With all the great weather, I've also gotten to visit a lot of the gardens around Prague. 

Vrtba Garden
Vrtba Garden
View from the Palace Gardens
The Royal Garden
View of the Prague Castle from the Royal Garden
The Royal Garden
Wallenstein Garden
Wallenstein Garden
Wallenstein Garden
I've been having a lot of fun traveling around and living in Prague. I've only got one month left in Prague and I know it's going to fly by. Thanks for reading!

Nashle,
Ashley







30 comments:

  1. Ahoj Ashley,

    I cannot believe your trip is already settling down! Thank you so much for writing these wonderful blog posts and supplying really cool pictures. It is awesome to see how well your trip has gone.

    The other day in Global Leadership, we discussed the topic of a "global mindset." In the chapter, Perruci explains this as "integrating several cultural norms into a new map; developing a new normal." When we were discussing, Professor McManus stated that if he could, he'd require everyone to take a semester abroad in developing their global mindset. Most of us students now have an international mindset, having an awareness of other cultures. Do you think after spending about four months in Prague you have started to develop more of a global mindset? Do you think that being in a new country/going to new places has helped you shift from an international paradigm to a more global one?

    I hope your last month in Prague is unforgettable! Have fun!

    Madison Crawford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madison, I would definitely say this semester abroad has changed the way I think. After reading the difffernt explanations of global and international mindset from other student's I'm not sure if I can say I've gotten to a global mindset. I think it will be very interesting when I get back to the states to see how my perception on American things will change. I do think living abroad has shown me how important it is to be aware of international events and how I don't think this is valued in American culture. I think that might be the biggest change I bring back, just wanting to more aware of things outside the US and how other countries interact.

      Delete
  2. Hey Ashley!

    Hope all is well in Prague! It seems as if you are having tons of fun getting to travel to a bunch of different places and exploring multiple cultures. I have a couple questions for you regarding being introduced to multiple cultures at once.

    In class, we recently learned about implications for leveraging diversity in global leadership. On the individual level, the chapter from Dr. Perruci states that as we open ourselves to learning other cultures and become more “transcultural”, culture shock often becomes a humbling experience. Have you experienced any amount of culture shock being in Prague? Since you are able to travel to multiple countries, does being introduced to multiple different cultures at once have any effect on this? Also, since your time studying abroad is drawing to an end, do you think you’ll have any culture shock when you return back to the states?

    Enjoy your last month in Prague! I can’t wait to see you when you get back!

    Elizabeth Sweda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I have experienced a little culture shock, but nothing too bad. I haven't read the chapter from Dr. Perruci's book that you're referencing, so I'm not familiar with what you mean about culture shock being humbling. A lot of times I will start to get kind of annoyed by something being different here, but then I'll realize its not that big of a deal. Traveling around to multiple countries has been interesting with all the different cultures. There are a lot of things that are similar between the Czech Republic and other countries, like standing on the right side of the escalator and walking on the left. I think the biggest thing is that being able to travel outside the country makes me appreciate going back to Prague a lot. After a long weekend of traveling or spring break, I look forward to getting back to Prague where I'm the most comfortable. So, even though I still have a bit of culture shock in Prague being able to leave shows me how much I have gotten used to it. I am sure I will have a bit of culture shock when I return home to. When my brother studied abroad he said he didn't really experience much, but I think everyone has a bit.

      Delete
    2. Ashley,

      It’s great to hear that you are starting to get accustomed to things in Prague and also becoming more comfortable with the area. When traveling between different countries you probably interact with a bunch of different people and might be a little bit out of your comfort zone, so I’m not surprised that you are experiencing some culture shock. I definitely would be!

      Throughout this experience I am sure that you are starting to expand your cultural awareness to different horizons. In class we discussed some action steps that will help do this. They include introducing yourself to someone from a different culture, trying different and new foods, attending cultural festivals, and learning another language. Since being in Prague, have you found yourself doing any of these? If so, do you think this might have been a factor in reducing the amount of culture shock you have experienced?

      I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Prague and have safe travels back to the states!

      Elizabeth Sweda

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth, I have been doing quite a few of those things. I've been taking Czech class this semester to try to learn some of the basics of the language. It's a Slavic language and extremely difficult to master, but I've really enjoyed learning how to form some basic sentences and phrases. I think this has been the most important component of becoming more culturally aware for me. During the Czech National Revival, the Czech language had a really big role in creating a Czech national identity so I think it's important to be able to understand, appreciate, and try the Czech language especially if you're staying here a long time. Usually, I can just start a conversation with someone and then ask if they speak English, but they seem to appreciate it. If I speak any Czech they usually ask if I live here since I know some czech, even though I can only piece together a few choppy sentences which I find funny. I think learning some of the language helps with culture shock because I can start to recognize things and feel like I know what I'm doing more. I think it also pushes me out of my comfort zone and communicate with Czechs more because I'd rather start a conversation in Czech than feel like just another dumb American tourist. I'm also eager to try practicing my Czech, so I think that pushes me to talk to people more. For the other steps you listed, I have been trying them as well. I've had some Czech food like gulaš, as well as the traditional foods of other countries I've visited, but I'm still looking forward to trying more. I have been going through and trying a variety of Czech beer, for the cultural awareness of course. I don't think I've been to any cultural festivals, but I have been to quite a few culturally significant places and seen a lot of art which I think has helped me appreciate the culture.

      Delete
  3. Hello Ashley,

    It looks like you're having an awesome time traveling and site seeing around the Czech Republic as well as other countries. One thing we have gone over in class was about how technology is changing and how the development of artificial intelligence will possibly change leadership with robots etc. Do you see a connection between society in the Czech Republic and technology? This is coming from recent news headlines especially about privacy and free will by Facebook and Cambridge Analytica and the data release of millions of users information. Do you see something like this happening in the Czech? Also do you think the development of technology and artificial intelligence will get rid of borders? Obviously me communicating with you is a good example of the pros of this development. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your time in Prague and I hope this is an awesome experience for you!

    Daniel Blaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, I'm not exactly sure what the Czech view of technology and AI is. They have have most of the same technology we have, but I'm not sure how much of role they have in developing it versus just using it.

      I'm not sure what you mean about technology getting rid of boarders. If you mean technology can help people communicate with people from other countries more, I would agree. Especially now when Czech students and students from other countries are learning English more and can communicate internationally with that. But, even if more people learn multiple languages, I think people will still maintain their separate identities and languages. Czech is a pretty small language, but its tied to the Czech national identity. It can be expensive for countries to maintain their own small languages, but even in places like the Czech Republic its really important for them keep it even if they learn other languages to connect globally.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ashley,

    The Czech Republic and the United States are both very much on the linear active side of the LMR Model, meaning that they are focused on getting their work done, and most people within the company are able to have a voice and make their opinion heard, much like the United States. In your time in the Czech Republic, has this held true, or have you witnessed other forms of leadership take hold, such as a reactive or multi active style, where there is a larger power distance between the leaders and followers, and silence is valued as much as thoughts or ideas.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I can mainly speak to my experiences with leadership in classes, but I would say that's true. Compared to my classes in the US, I don't think my Czech ones are as interactive, but we do discuss a lot and I know that may also just be Marietta. I don't know much about Czech politics but they also seem to speak up a lot here too. I think this might stem from the Velvet Revolution where protests, particularly from students, led to completely changing the country from Communist controlled to a parliamentary republic. So, being able to protest and speak up has been important to their history and they're free to do it. There have been a couple protests around Prague since I've been here, but nothing too massive and they've all been controlled. I've heard people say is that Americans will protest anything, which I think is pretty funny but also shows that they might take it more seriously but I'm not real sure. This might not answer your question about organizational leadership, but I haven't seen much of it.

      Delete
  5. Yo Klopf,

    I love seeing all of your beautiful pictures. It looks like you’re having a fantastic time over in good ole’ CR. Whenever you’re back in Marietta, I’d love to talk about your travels over some schnitzel!

    So, this year in leadership, we have talked a lot about globalism and its consequent effects on the environments we live our lives in. Based on your own observations and interactions, do you feel like Prague and Czech Republic are as globalized as some of the places here in the United States or not? And either way, what evidence makes you come to that conclusion?


    Enjoy the rest of your time abroad!
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      We will definitely have to talk over a schnitzel or gulas and a pilsner, for the authenticity of course.

      I would say that the Czech Repulic is as or more globalized than the US, or at least the smaller towns I've always lived in in the US. I think the US just has the luxury or privilege of being a large powerful country so we don't really have to think on the global scale everyday. I'm not meaning to get political like "We're #1" or anything, but there's no way to deny that were a giant and influential country. For example, because were so large our entertainment industry is massive and we put out a lot of material that people around the world watch. Smaller countries like the Czech Republic, which only has 10 million people, can't produce the absolute volume of material that we create. I stayed in a hotel the other night with a TV and flipped through the channels because I was curious, and less than half the shows were originally Czech. They had American shows like Family Guy, Beverly Hillbillies, and Chicago Med translated, and I've been to a couple karaoke bars in Prague and they also almost exclusively sing English songs. I can't tell you the last time I watched something in the US that wasn't originally in English and foreign language songs that become really popular are rare.
      Also, if you compare the average Czech person's knowledge of the US with the average American's knowledge of the Czech Republic it's extraordinary. Most Americans probably couldn't tell you anything about the Czech Republic or find it on a map, but I've met a lot of Czechs that know a ton about the US and our politics. I know it's not the most fair comparision because the drastic size difference between the two countries, but I do think it shows some of the big differences between them. In the US, I think we can just bury our heads and only concern ourselves with domestic issues because it's easy enough to surround ourselves with only American things.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ashley!

    Recently in class we have discussed the importance of developing a global mindset when it comes to leadership. This not only includes viewing other cultures as examples of what is "normal", but incorporating those cultural norms into your own cultural map. An example Dr. Perruci used was of Chinese culture and the use of chopsticks. On his first visit, he felt uncomfortable using chopsticks to eat and would rather have used a fork, but after several trips, he felt just as comfortable using chopsticks as he did a fork, thus developing it into a "new normal". After spending several months in Prague, do you feel there are any "new normals" that will be part of your life when you return?

    Matthew Chih

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Chih, that's a tough questions. I don't think I can say for sure until I'm back in the US, but there are obviously things I'd like to incorporate though. I've spent a lot of time traveling and seeing new places and I'd definitely like to keep doing that even if it's just within the US. I'd also like to just be more aware of international events because going abroad has really shown me how little I knew and know about everything. I think the differences will be more obvious when I return home.

      Delete
  7. Hey Ashley,

    It sounds like you have done quite a bit of traveling lately, and a large part of Lead 203 is comparing different cultures. I know that you talked a bit about how the people in Norway are less reserved than in Prague but I was wondering if there were any other differences you observed. Where there any things these countries had in common that was different from the United States? Thank Ashley!

    Enjoy your last month abroad!

    Rachel Ewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, the most obvious thing was definitely how the people in Norway were more outgoing, but there were some other things too. Norway was way more expensive than Prague, but that's not really a cultural thing. The way they stand on the right side of the elevator and walk on the left was the same, but that's fairly consistent through all of Europe.

      Delete
  8. Hey Ashley!
    I hope you're doing well and that Prague is wonderful!

    I saw where you travelled to Norway! I bet that was beautiful! Anyway, I saw where you said the people there were more outgoing and found that most of them spoke English.

    Do you feel the difference in the importance of the English language you've seen in these countries could be an indicator that Prague is more of a nationalistic country and Norway has a more global mindset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddison, I don't really think the language is an indicator of the level of global mindsets. Because the Czech Republic was under Communist leadership until 1989, they taught Russian as the second language. After the Velvet Revolution, they started teaching English in schools. So, right now only older people don't speak English, but I think its fair considering they were forced to learn Russian for so long. Now, everyone that went through school after the revolution can speak English pretty well. So, I don't think that it is a difference in the importance of the English language as much as it a lasting effect of the Communist era.

      Delete
  9. Hey Ashley!
    It sounds like you're having a great time and I'm jealous of all the traveling you're doing! In class we recently discussed developing a global mindset. Do you believe that traveling across Europe and being able to experience different cultures and views has helped establish your global mindset?

    Thanks!
    Sebastian Ziaja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sebastian, I would definitely say that being able to travel and see different cultures has helped shape my global mindset. I'm not sure right now what all I'll bring back and incorporate into my life in the United States, but I think it has at least changed the way I see things. I think it has made me more aware of the world outside the United States more and I made me want to connect with it more.

      Delete
  10. Hi Ashley,

    I really enjoyed the pictures of the reindeer and how much effort you put into being able to see them. How has your time in the Czech Republic influenced your view of an expanding global sphere. You have mentioned seeing a lot of US influence through the countries that you have visited, but have also recognized the original culture of these places and I was wondering if you think it is possible for both sets of culture to survive in the wake of an expanding global sphere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan, I definitely think it is possible for both sets of culture to survive but an effort has to be made to protect them. I'm in a Czech class right now and think the Czech language has a large role in the national identity and culture. So, as the world globalizes countries like the Czech Republic with small languages have more incentive for their people to learn larger languages like English. But at least with the Czech Republic, their own language is very important to the nation, so even as they interact more globally they have to make a conscious effort to protect their own independent culture.

      Delete
  11. Wow Ash it seems like you have had the experience of a lifetime! Although I am sad you have to leave this exciting adventure, I am glad I get to see you next semester.
    During your last blog you wrote about touring the homeless community and your guide telling you about his life and community. Do you believe in this short time your guide acted almost as a transformational leader (minus the long time together)? You seemed to be very touched by this experience, the key component to me of a transformational leader.
    Safe Travels!
    Isaiah Brady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brady, thank you, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing everyone in Marietta again! I never thought about him being a transformational leader, but I would agree with you that he was. Of the four I's of transformational leadership, I think he definitely hit inspirational motivation and intellectual stimulation. By showing us homeless in Prague he was really motivational and certainly made me think about the issue more. The idealized influence is a difficult one. He isn't the typical transformational leader, but I think being able to hear his story and respect him as an expert on homelessness made him and idealize influence. The individualized consideration is hard to satisfy just because it was such a short time like you mentioned.

      Delete
  12. Hey Ashley,

    In Global Leadership this semester we have learned about the concept of a global mindset. Dr. Perruci explains this as an individual who not only has knowledge of other cultures, but also integrating some of these cultures' values to form a new normal for the individual. There is also the international mindset which understands that other cultures have a different sort of normal, but does not embrace those other cultures norms. Finally, there is the parochial mindset, which understands ones own cultural norms and thinks that all the other ones are wacky. Seeing as you've gone into a new cultural context this semester as someone from a different culture, have you seen people from the Czech Republic to have a parochial, international, or global mindset? Also, do you think you've shifted from one mindset to another after going abroad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, that's great question, I haven't considered the global mindset of the Czech Republic before. I would definitely say they don't have a parochial mindset because most people I've talked to seem interested in other cultures and understanding and accepting them. I can't say for sure if they lean more towards the global or international mindset though. As for my own mindset, I think I'm between the global and international as well. I think I've passed the parochial point to international, but I'm not sure how well I'll be able to integrate the Czech culture into my life. I think I'll really have to wait until I get back to the US and know for sure how I've changed before I can really say if I've shifted to a global mindset.

      Delete
  13. I have noticed a large shift in desire for diversity and inclusion within the academic world as well as the corporate world in America. Have you noticed any significant difference while in Prague? According to Hofstede Insights, the Czech Republic is significantly more focused on the long term than the United States is. Does this long term focus translate to an increase in effort in terms of diversity and inclusion? It is important to note diverse teams outperform non-diverse teams by roughly 40% in empirical studies. If the Czech Republic does focus more on diversity and inclusion, have you noticed more productivity in work environments?

    - Thanks for send me an invitation to connect on LinkedIn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I knew you could appreciate the importance of growing your professional network.

      I don't think I've been here long enough to notice any changes in diversity and inclusion. I do however know that nationalism has been an increase in nationalism in the Czech Republic like there has been across a lot of European countries and the US. The president, who they recently re-elected has been very open about his anti-immigration and anti-Muslim views. He has very little support in Prague though, and I haven't heard anyone here express similar views. At the same time, I do believe that the Czech Republic is a fairly inclusive country from my own experiences. There are significant minority groups in Prague and it is possible for groups of people like Slovaks or Vietnamese to move here and live just fine without even learning Czech. So, while I do think the Czech Republic does have a more long-term focus, I don't think that it translates to their diversity.

      Delete
  14. As I'm sure you are aware, the United States has taken on more of a Nationalistic point of view towards the economy. How has this shift been perceived in Prague? What view do the citizens of Prague hold towards American's and more importantly how do they view the president? I was also wondering how the nationalistic point of view held by America is influencing or harming the Czech Republic.

    - I will eventually accept your LinkedIn invitation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I will look forward to the connection acceptance. Like I mentioned in my previous comment, there is also a rise in nationalism in the Czech Republic. The President Miloš Zeman supports Donald Trump, but Zeman has little support in Prague. I've only talked to a few people in Prague about Trump, but they've seemed against him. I haven't heard anybody really bash him but more just poke fun at him or criticize him. I also haven't heard anybody really talk poorly of the US, and I have still heard a couple people express that they would like to move to the US. So, I think peoples image of the US is pretty well-established and isn't influenced much by everyday politics or the parties in office.

      Delete

April Update

Ahoj McDonough, I haven't posted in a little over a month and I've been pretty busy since then. It's spring in Prague and the ...